I first learned of this new digital camouflage pattern and BDU combo from Russian firm Survival Corps a few months ago. However, my interest was renewed a couple of days ago when I discovered that FSU Connections Ltd. (www.rusmilitary.com) here in the UK has some stuff in this pattern for sale. Survival Corps allegedly developed the pattern, and the “Kombat” BDU which uses it, in consultation with an unnamed Russian special forces unit and is officially used by Russian Police and Russian Federal Security Service (according to the company).
Some people are referring to the SURPAT pattern as a sort of home-grown, digital, “multicam” pattern - but that seems a bit of a stretch to me. On closer inspection you can see that it clearly appears to be based on the CADPAT pattern design, and the colouration is kind of inbetween UNICAM from Erbelestock and the “mountain” colouration of Serbian MD05 camo (see images below). But there’s no doubt that it appears to work pretty well in the photographs I’ve seen so far.
The KOMBAT BDU is in fact a fairly close copy of the American ACU style of uniform.Jacket:
- 2 slanted chest pockets with button closure
- 2 slanted upper sleeve pockets with Velcro closure
- Velcro patches for name tags, skill tabs, unit patches on upper sleeves and chest
- Zipper and Velcro front closure
- Mandarin collar with Velcro neck tab
- 2 back pleats for freer shoulder movement
- 2 front slash pockets
- 2 rear pockets with button closure
- 2 pleated cargo pockets with button closure
- 2 bellowed lower pockets with Velcro closure
- Nylon drawstring leg ties
- Reinforced seat and knee patches
Besides BDUs and headgear, Survival Corps have also produced a whole range of tactical gear featuring the SURPAT camo. But at the present time, FSU Connections appears to only have this rather nice chest rig on stock.Finally, also have a look at the blog Tactical Gear Review – it has a feature comparing SURPAT against MultiCam in a typical southern British woodland environment.More photos from this comparison test can be seen in the full feature here.More information about availability, sizes and prices can be found on FSU Connections website.Further photos and background information can be found on Survival Corps’ website.